Spring Break weekend is fast approaching. Spring Break will start April 12, 2019 and run through April 14, 2019. Coast residents can expect to see an increase in traffic as early as Friday afternoon. Historically, traffic has been heaviest early Saturday to late Saturday evening.
It is during this time that you will see traffic on US Highway 90, between Cowan Road and Debuys Road, go down to one lane of travel east and westbound. It is important for those who are not participants of the spring break activities, to utilize alternative routes. When travel is reduced down to one lane and, you enter that lane unexpectedly, you can anticipate traveling into the City of Biloxi and possibly the City of Ocean Springs before being able to exit US Highway 90. That travel could possibly take up to three hours.
The closed lane of travel will be utilized for emergency vehicles only. Vehicles not authorized to use the EMERGENCY LANE will be ticketed and towed. In recent years, spring break traffic has been utilizing navigational apps to find alternative routes in attempt to avoid US Highway 90 which, on occasions, would increase traffic in residential neighborhoods. We are asking coast residents to remain patient and understand that we will do our best monitoring and enforcing traffic laws throughout the city.
If traffic becomes immobile, a traffic diversion plan will be implemented. The public will be notified at least 30 minutes in advance via the departments Twitter and Facebook account. The traffic diversion plan is as follows:
- All East and Westbound traffic on Highway 90 at the Cowan Road intersection would be diverted north onto Cowan Road. Traffic would then be sent north to Interstate 10 where traffic would be sent east towards Biloxi.
- All traffic southbound on Cowan Road from Interstate 10 or entering Cowan Road from the west would be sent south to Pass Road where traffic would be able to go west on Pass Road or continue south on Cowan Road to Highway 90 where traffic would be sent west.
- All traffic entering Cowan Road from the east would be sent north on Cowan Road to Interstate 10 and then sent east towards Biloxi.
- Traffic on the service drive from Debuys Road to Highway 90 westbound will remain open to all residents south of the tracks.
- Debuys Road will be closed from Highway 90 north to Pass Road to all vehicular traffic. Residents can access the service drive from Anniston Avenue.
Should you have any questions concerning this notification letter, please do not hesitate to call 228-868-5959.